No Waiver by WECHU
The services of WECHU are offered to the residents of Windsor and Essex County. If you reside outside of this area you are welcome to browse our websites but we also encourage you to contact your local public health authorities.
WECHU strives to make all of its websites accessible. If you are not able to access information on a WECHU website, please contact our Communications Department at 519-258-2146 extension 1424. We will then work to make the web content accessible to you.
You may not violate the law in your use of our websites. Further, you may not interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of our websites or with another’s use and enjoyment of them through use of any device, software, routine, imposition of large loads or otherwise.
Your Messages and Posts
WECHU may provide interactive areas on our websites including through third party applications. These may be accessible and visible to the public. Please do not post anything that you wish to keep confidential. You are responsible for your messages and posts. The following additional terms and conditions apply to your use of any such interactive areas:
- You may not use interactive areas for any illegal purpose.
- You may not encourage others to break the law.
- You may not post any material that infringes on the intellectual property rights of others.
- You may not post any material that infringes on the privacy rights of others.
- You may not post any material that is defamatory, threatening, abusive, obscene, offensive or otherwise inappropriate such as lewd, vulgar, or profane comments, ethnic, racial or religious slurs, cyber bullying, depictions of violence and obscenity etc.
- You may not post any material that constitutes an endorsement, advertisement or solicitation of business.
- You may not post chain letters or pyramid schemes.
- Your messages and postings must be relevant.
- Your messages must be respectful.
- You may not impersonate another person or falsely claim to represent the interests of any group or person.
Responding to your Messages and Posts
Depending on the volume of messages and posts, we cannot commit to responding to everyone. Further, we cannot guarantee that we will understand your message or post completely or respond accurately. You acknowledge that any response by WECHU:
- Is not to be considered to be definitive advice or guaranteed to address your message or post.
- Does not offer medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have a question about a specific medical condition, you should contact your primary health care provider. If you live in Ontario, you can also call Telehealth at 1-866-797-0000. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please call 911. If you are inquiring about a specific service offered by WECHU (e.g. immunization records), please call us at 519-258-2146. If you have a public health matter and require assistance outside of WECHU regular office hours, you may contact the paging service at 519-973-4510.
If we feel your message or post requires a response and/or a greater level of detail, we may develop a formal response and distribute the information through other channels such as e-mail and WECHU website.
Registration and Passwords
We may provide areas on our websites where you can register, open an account, or similar function in connection with which you obtain a registration, username, password, account and/or other access credentials. You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your access credentials and you may not allow any other person to use your access credentials. You will notify WECHU immediately of any unauthorized use or if the same are no longer confidential.
Products and Services
While WECHU may moderate submissions and posts on our website, we are not required to, nor should you expect that we will take action in response to any specific submissions or posts.
WECHU Right to Restrict Use
WECHU reserves the right (but shall not be obligated) in its sole unfettered discretion, at any time and from time to time to bar, block, or otherwise limit or restrict any person’s access to and use of this website and other WECHU websites and to remove or modify any messages or materials submitted or posted, in whole or in part.
The content of this website and all other WECHU websites is the property of WECHU, unless otherwise noted. Such property includes but is not limited to: text, graphics, logos, images and audio and video clips.
Any content submitted by you remains your property but by submitting it, you give WECHU an irrevocable license to use, reproduce, publish, display, transmit, modify and create derivative works of such content and you agree to waive any moral rights you may have in any such content, all without the requirement to recognize you or make payment of any compensation to you.
WECHU website content may not be reproduced, copied, modified, or published in whole or in part without the express, written consent of WECHU. WECHU encourages community partners and non-profit organizations to request permission to utilize our materials. To ask permission, please contact WECHU at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the following details:
- a description of the work you hope to use;
- a description of how you intend to use the work, including in what format and how it will be distributed;
- whether it is for commercial gain; and
- the date by which you hope to receive permission.
This website and other WECHU websites may from time to time provide links to other websites. Availability does not mean we have reviewed them or constitute an endorsement by us. WECHU does not assume responsibility whatsoever for the links or the policies or practices with respect to websites accessed through those links. For example, WECHU provides a link to Google Translate. WECHU does not own, manage or control any aspect of Google Translate and is not responsible for the translations provided by Google Translate. WECHU does not make any promises, assurances or guarantees as to the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of the translations provided.
Links provided as references within a web document or page are based on where information was gathered at the time it was written. In some cases, these links may be broken and no longer available. When this occurs, the link text will continue to be listed as the source reference, but without a hyperlink to the original source.
Third Party Material
This website and other WECHU websites may contain material contributed by persons outside of WECHU. Its availability does not mean that we have reviewed it or constitute an endorsement by us.
This website and other WECHU websites may contain advertisements. Unless otherwise specifically indicated by us, WECHU does not endorse or make any kind of representation or warranty with respect to such advertisements.
Down Time and Modification
You acknowledge that our websites or a part of any one or more of them may be periodically unavailable in order to allow for maintenance or other reasons. We also put you on notice that we reserve the right at any time and from time to time to cancel or suspend services, modify, discontinue temporarily or permanently this website or any other WECHU websites, or any part thereof without notice.
Nothing in this website or any other WECHU websites is intended as advice or to meet the specific needs of individuals as individual situations will differ. The information on our websites is presented for general purposes. Website visitors should not act or rely on website information without seeking specific advice from qualified professionals on matters of concern. We will not purposefully present inaccurate information on this website or any of our other websites, however information is supplied “as is” and may contain errors. We do not guarantee or warrant the quality, accuracy, completeness, timeliness, appropriateness, or suitability of website content. Reliance on any information appearing on our websites is at your own risk. We expressly disclaim all warranties, representations and conditions regarding use of this website and any other WECHU websites and their content.
Limitation of Liability
Neither WECHU nor any of its directors, officers, employees, agents, website contributors, assigns and/or those for whom WECHU is responsible at law, shall be liable to you for any expense, loss, or damage suffered by you and/or any other person arising directly or indirectly at any time from the use of this or any other WECHU website or if any such websites are modified or become unavailable, whether reasonably foreseeable or not.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction
Collection of personal information from you by WECHU through this or any other of its websites and any subsequent use and disclosure by WECHU are subject to our privacy statement.
For more information, please contact us.
Website Privacy Statement
Last Revised: September 17, 2018
Who Does This Privacy Statement Apply To?
WECHU administers mandated public health programs to keep our community healthy. Depending on an individual’s relationship with us and how they interact with us, the specific personal information or personal health information that we collect, use and disclose and the related purposes varies. This Privacy Statement applies only to website visitors. It applies to all of our websites.
What is the Purpose of this Privacy Statement?
WECHU is committed to protecting your privacy, whether you are browsing for information or communicating with WECHU through our websites. The purpose of this Privacy Statement is to let you know how WECHU respects your privacy in connection with our websites.
All of our privacy related practices have been designed to comply with or exceed applicable privacy legislation, specifically:
- Ontario Health Protection and Promotion Act
- Ontario Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Ontario Personal Health Information Protection Act
How Do We Collect Personal Information?
Generally, we collect personal information about you directly from you or those who act on your behalf. Sometimes we collect personal information by recording how you interact with us, for example, by way of using Google Analytics, in connection with our websites. Occasionally, we collect personal information about you from other sources, if we have obtained your consent to do so or if the law permits such collection.
What Personal Information Do We Collect, Use and Disclose and Why?
We limit the personal information that we collect about website visitors to that which is necessary for our purposes as outlined in this Privacy Statement. Further, we also only use and disclose your personal information for those purposes. If the personal information we require is collected for a reason other than as outlined in this Privacy Statement or if a new purpose arises, we will seek your further consent. More specifically:
- Personal Information. Personal information that we collect about our website visitors includes:
- When you view our website your internet protocol (IP) address, your device type, brand and model, your operating system, your browser type and the date and time of your visit are automatically logged. IP addresses are unique numbers assigned by internet service providers to all devices used to access the Internet. The IP address on its own does not identify you and while we generally do not try to link it with other data, it is possible. We also employ digital markers. A digital marker is a small file placed on your computer. A “cookie” is an example of a digital marker. Our digital markers allow us to recognize a previous visitor to our website. They also allow us to track what information is viewed, for how long, the sequence and other information.
- We have a number of features on our website. For examples: you can send us an email, register for a class or clinic, submit and view immunizations and participate in surveys and contests. Our features change from time to time as we make improvements to our website. Depending on which feature you use, we collect a variety of additional personal information, such as for examples: your name and email address.
- For certain website features we may request that you provide a health card number. Unless we are permitted by law to require production, any production is on a voluntary basis. If you do not wish to voluntarily provide a health card number please contact our Privacy Officer (see below contact information) for other options.
- Purposes. The personal information about our website visitors that we collect, use and disclose, is for the following purposes:
- Conducting web analytics, including monitoring website use, traffic patterns and other aspects, so that we can work at improving your on-line experience.
- In the context of the use of any website feature, to fulfill the purpose of that feature and also to understand better who is using our features, so that we can target improvements.
- Evaluating, planning, administering and managing WECHU’s operations.
- In connection with the collection of a health card number – it will only be used and disclosed for purposes related to the provision of provincially funded health resources or for other purpose required or permitted by law.
- Any other purposes required or permitted by law.
What We Won’t Do with Your Personal Information
We assure you that we will not sell or rent your personal information to others.
What We Do to Protect Privacy
We are responsible for the personal information within our control. We have established policies and procedures, specifically designed to protect personal information from theft, loss, unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, modification or disposal. Once we no longer need your personal information for our purposes, we securely destroy it. We educate our staff about these policies and procedures and monitor compliance. More specifically in the context of our websites:
- Access Controls. Access controls are applied to data and other files to ensure that they are accessible only to WECHU staff or agents for necessary purposes.
- Encryption. Secure Socket Layer encryption software is used throughout the website to protect your information during transmission. A security icon will appear in your browser window to indicate that you are using a secure channel. Please note that WECHU cannot guarantee the security of email or files sent through unsecured channels. If encryption is not available through a WECHU website, an alternative means of communication is recommended (e.g. telephone call).
- Disposal. Personal information is disposed of according to WECHU's record retention schedule. To ensure personal and personal health information is unrecoverable, any paper records generated are shredded, and electronic media is wiped prior to disposal using a utility program or by physical destruction of the media.
What We Do to Ensure Our Service Providers Protect Privacy
From time to time, we may engage third-party service providers to assist us with our purposes. We require all of our third-party service providers to protect your privacy, however if your personal information is out of the country, such as for example by way of a cloud computing provider, we note that it is subject to the laws of that country and may be subject to disclosure to the governments, courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies of such country.
Your Control Over Your Own Personal Information
When you or someone you have authorized provides us with your personal information, you are consenting to WECHU’s collection, use and disclosure of that personal information for the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement. In many circumstances, particularly when the personal information is extra sensitive, we also employ other methods to further ensure consent, such as just-in-time notifications. For example, many of our forms collecting personal information will contain a notice about consent.
You can change your consent preferences or withdraw your consent for the collection, use and disclosure of any or all of your personal information, at any time (see contact information below). It is important to note however that when you change or withdraw your consent, it will not have a retroactive effect; it may have implications to you and it will not affect the collection, use and disclosure of personal information where such collection, use and disclosure is permitted or required by law without consent.
You have a right to see and get a copy of the information that WECHU has collected and retained about you, unless the law restricts access. You can request access in writing. The law allows WECHU to charge you a fee which may vary depending upon the amount of information you ask for, or additional actions that WECHU needs to take to provide the information. WECHU may waive this fee. WECHU will respond to your request for information within 30 calendar days. If there is a delay in providing the information, we will notify you and respond as quickly as possible. When all or a part of a record cannot be provided, we will inform you why access is restricted and give WECHU’s legal authority for this refusal.
If any inaccuracies in the personal information are noted, you can request that we correct those inaccuracies.
Questions and How to Reach WECHU
We are committed to providing you with understandable and easily available information about our privacy policies and procedures. We encourage you to contact us with any questions you might have. Please contact:
Windsor-Essex County Health Unit
1005 Ouellette Avenue
Windsor, Ontario N9A 4J8
(519) 258-2146, Ext. 1476
Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario ("IPC/O")
We encourage you to let us try and resolve any privacy concerns that you may have. However, if you do not agree with how WECHU has responded to your request for access to a record or correction of a record or have other privacy concerns, you have the right to make a complaint to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario. For more information about how to make a complaint, please see the Information and Privacy Commissioner’s website at www.ipc.on.ca, or you may write to them at:
Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario
2 Bloor Street East
Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8
We may change this Privacy Statement from time to time and encourage you to refer back to it regularly. This Privacy Statement current as of the “last revised” date which appears at the top.
THANK YOU FOR READING OUR WEBSITE PRIVACY STATEMENT